Sunday, November 19, 2006

Kyrie eleison

In church this morning we sang a wonderful setting of the spiritual "Steal Away" for men. It intersperses the hymn with the gregorian chant "Kyrie Orbis Factor." The effect is remarkable. I sang the top part, mostly in counter-tenor mode, as it goes up to a high B flat. It was great fun. On top of that, I managed to get my 94 year old mother to come to church to hear it, something she never does.

She was really cute. I've been telling her all week that we sing around 10:45, and that she should get there by 10:30 just to make sure. Alternatively, if she wanted to attend the whole service to be there by 10:00. She showed up at 9:20! That gave her the chance to hear the entire rehearsal process as well. I suspected that she would leave, but she lasted all the way to the end of the service, and she told me she really enjoyed "the whole program." It was nice to see her out in the congregation, and I was able to go and give her a hug during the sign of peace.

It's the little things...

No comments: