Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tempus fugit!

Over halfway into January already... Hardly seems possible.

The New Year's Day service at the Episcopal church was interesting. Other than the six of us who were serving, there was one parishioner! Our priest decided it would be best if we all sat up in the choir, and so the service was intimate and lovely. I did one of the readings, and played the bandura to accompany my wife as she sang "I wonder as I wander." The sermon was more of a group discussion than a lecture, and it ended up being one of the more spiritually uplifting services I have attended in quite a while!

Our sons visited for a couple of days during the week between Christmas and New Years - one from the east coast and one from the Bay Area. It was nice to spend some time with them. It is difficult to do so at this busy time in their lives, so every moment is greatly appreciated. The oldest needed to go to Santa Barbara to meet up with his girl friend for the return to New Jersey, so my wife and I decided to make a night of it by staying at the Ballard Inn in the Santa Ynez Valley. It is a lovely B&B, with excellent food and even a little wine tasting.

Then last week our youngest daughter came to stay for a few days during her winter break from Berkeley. She even came to church with us on Sunday and she and I played flute and recorder on Bach's "Sheep may safely graze" while the choir sang. It was a real pleasure to make music with her.

Things are gradually returning to normal as vacations are over and the new year quickly ages.

No comments: