Monday, August 27, 2007

Torna al'Italia...

My youngest daughter is now in Italy, doing a year at the University of Padova (that's Padua for you non-Italian speakers). She flew out there the same day I had my surgery, and very graciously left me a "get well soon" message from the tarmac at JFK. Of course, the best laid plans of mice often go astray...

[... and men! It's "of mice and men."
"Men? What have men got to do with it?"]

Her flight got in late, she missed her connection, and didn't make it to Padova until 11PM instead of the scheduled 1 PM. On top of this, her luggage has yet to make an appearance, and she chose to fly in her pajama pants. A new pair of pants was her first purchase - cheap and funny looking, she says. Of course they're funny looking - they are pantalones! That even sounds funny!

She has a new cell phone (one that works in Europe) and apparently can receive calls for free. We shall see. In any event, despite all this she is delighted to be back in Italy, and I am very happy for her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is important to check.

Even if she can receive calls free, make sure you have an international dialing plan on your land line (appr $5 a month) to get a good rate per minute on overseas calls. My daughter just got back from a stay in France and the first phone bill was a shocker.

Also, calls were more expensive if I called her cell phone than if I called a French land line, maybe twice as much.

Jeff D said...

Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I wish her bon fortuna. (I mix up Ayetalian and Frog-ish all the time. Spanglish is not much better.) Sami studied Latin in College, so she and I had great fun reading and discussing together.
How is your recovery coming along?
I have a Dr. appt in a few minutes.First since the diabetes diagnosis. At least I like them in the office...nice folks.