Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Huzzah!!

I had my CT scan this morning, and the doctor said that everything looks very, very good with my implants. He has to send the results out for a formal reading, but it's celebration time!

The half life of the radioactive element is about one month. That means if the initial radiation dose was 1024 (a completely arbitrary number for easy illustration), after one month it is 512, after two months it is 256, after three months it is 128 and so on. After one year it is 1!

I go back to the urologist in December, and to the radiation oncologist in March. They'll do a PSA test at that time, and that should give a good indication as to my condition. The only chance of a problem (a very small one) is if the cancer has already metastasized to somewhere outside of the prostate. This was caught very early, so it is unlikely. When it happens, the cancer tends to go into the bones or into the lymph nodes. I had a bone scan soon after the cancer was diagnosed which was clear.

It is not 100% that I am cured, but in the very high 90s. Out of 130 patients, this doctor has only had the recurrence show up in 1. Not bad odds.

No comments: